Friday, December 10, 2010

Looking back on reading comp.

...to do better in the future. Today we started our intensive, in-class reading comprehension unit. The questions are multiple choice questions off of various reading passages.

If you use the questions to focus on what's important in the reading, you will be learning how to 'see' important detail. We'll be doing 8 of them, and, I can almost promise each and every one of you, you will improve.

Remember to use the 12 strategies we outlined in the beginning of the year. Any of the questions you have in the next month come from those 12 strategies so using them could come in handy.

To help, I'll try to post a couple of questions that many seem to miss. With reflection, you can understand better.

Question 21 of the poem, "Some Rivers" asks about feelings. If you look at the answers, which one connects us to a feeling? D does, with pain.

Number 25 was on purpose, the purpose of the chart. B and D answers can be trashed.

That leaves A and C--but no personal info is given in the passage, so now I say it's to support the theme--which was given in the title of the passage, "An American Inventor".

Steps to good comprehension:

  1. Look at the title and visuals, let them help you to get started.
  2. Read the questions BEFORE you read the passage, just like we did this week on the essay. Let the questions help to direct your reading to the important info.
  3. Read carefully and deliberately.
  4. Slash the trash.
  5. Decide between the remaining answers, remembering the 12 strategies.
  6. Go back into the passage with any quesitons you might have.

And, from Mrs. Farrell? Know what the question is asking: think the 12 strategies and letting the question guide you to important info. (Remember question 21/ feelings would bring us to pain, the only answer with feelings in it.)

I'm from a generation who learned to read and comprehend from MC questions. I loved them. As a student I could go into my own little world, reading and learning, knowing there was a correct answer -- I just had to find it.

I loved the challenge. Here's hoping you do also!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have learned that when I look back a lot of times in the passage it is not a bad thing, and that I should to double check my answers even if I think I know them.

~Mackenzie Corcoran

Anonymous said...

When I looked over the steps to good comprehension, I found them all to be true. I like reading the questions before I read the passage, but sometimes that distracts me from the reading. I like reading the passage slow and understand it all, and then if I have any questions I'll just go back into the passage.
~Courtney J.

Anonymous said...

the thing that i think that i learned the most about practicing the reading comp is that i always know to read the question first to know what im looking for. I never use to do that for reading comp and now i see how important it can be to do
sam nygard